Faith expressed through generosity
The Bible teaches that in Christ we are not under Old Testament Law or any obligation to give money to God or to the Church. Rather, the New Testament teaches that we are to live by faith in Christ; that he is the perfect expression of God’s radical generosity. Learning to trust God in all things includes our new capacity to be generous in all things, including financially.
Our emphasis is on freedom in Christ and giving as a response to God’s goodness, rather than “should-do” obedience or a “transactional” view of God’s faithfulness. 2 Corinthians 9:6-15 is all about Heaven’s principles of living generously; sowing and reaping, giving deliberately, joyfully and without external compulsion. Instead, we use money according to the Holy Spirit’s leading because our God faithfully supplies all of our needs and enables us to be a blessing to others.
And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.2 Corinthians 9:8
Applying these principles means that we do not feel the need to talk about giving money every Sunday, even though we do believe in faith-filled giving. Nor do we pass around offering plates or buckets. God has a mission and purpose for the local church so we joyfully choose to financially support this aspect of God’s work.
Some New Testament affirmations about giving and money:
- God is a loving Father who cares for the needs of his people. (Matt. 6:25-34)
- All generosity flows from a heart of worship for God. (Phil. 4:18)
- Attitude is the vital factor, not amounts. (Mark 12:41-44, 2 Cor. 8:2-5)
- Generosity is a way of life for Jesus’ followers. (Luke 6:30-31, James 2:15-16)
- Giving money is a joyful and free expression of our trust in God, and should never come from external compulsion. (2 Cor. 9:7)
- God desires to enable and empower generosity in his people so that we might accomplish all that he desires for us to do. (2 Cor. 9:8-11)
- Serving God involves our financial choices. (Matt. 6:19-21)
- Generosity is a factor of fruitful gospel ministry. (2 Cor. 9:12-13, Phil. 4:15-19)
- Some people are specially gifted from God to be able to give financially more than others, and blessing results when they live according to this grace. (Rom. 12:8, 1 Tim. 6:17-19)
- It is right and good to support those who are specially called to serve Jesus in church ministry. (1 Cor. 9:4-14, 1 Tim. 5:17-18)
Giving to Lifeway by DIRECT DEPOSIT:
BSB Nº: 112-879
Account Nº: 425 657 075
Message/Reference: Lifeway Offering
Please reference your deposit as “General Offering” or “Lifeway Offering”.